Mindfulness is the practice of becoming more aware of the present moment – noticing your breathing, the sensations in your body. It’s all about being in the “now” especially if you’re including conventional food this Christmas, on our FlexiFasting plan or in management…
Mindfulness In 6 Steps
- Before you eat, check if you’re physically hungry. Use a hunger gauge – image on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is hungry and 10 is full. Focus on how you are really feeling. If you’re gauge is at between 4-8 then you probably aren’t hungry so in that case, ask youself what are you hungry for – company, stimulation?
- Don’t go to a Christmas party physically hungry – this can often lead to overeating especially when most parties have bowls of your favorite “nibbles” in your face as soon as you arrive. Have a healthy snack, a lite meal or a foodpack beforehand.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well. Take your time, enjoy your food, taste it – remember to stop and pause, you’re not rushing to catch a train! It takes 15-20 mins for your brain to register that you’ve physically had enough. Think about all the times you’ve rushed your food, had seconds and then felt very uncomfortable!
- If you’re out for dinner and want to eat more than one course, restrict yourself to only a small portion of each. The key to success is moderation. Refer back to your hunger gauge.
- Don’t eat standing up, talking on the phone, playing Candy Crush or watching TV – sit down at a table and give your food your full attention – trust me, you’ll enjoy it more!
- Watch your portion size! Studies show that when people use smaller plates they eat around 25% less without even noticing. A 10″ plate is perfect – ditch those massive trendy plates they make you eat more!